Wednesday, October 15, 2008

What....a.....day.....

My day definitely didn't go as I thought it would today. Over Gavan's lunch went to see our friends at Lakeside who had their baby this morning. They had a beautiful baby girl named Drue Olivia. We each held her and talked about how much she looked like her mom. I was feeling fine and then we were getting ready to leave and I got really hot & dizzy all of a sudden and then BAM!, I PASSED OUT & SMACKED MY FACE ON THE FLOOR!

Thank goodness Gavan was holding Jaylen and nobody else got hurt. It took about a minute for me to come back to life and I had no clue as to what had happened. I woke up laying on my back with all these ladies hovering over me and touching me & my face. All I remember was getting hot & dizzy and that was it. It was the weirdest thing and has never happened to me like that before. They got me some ice and something to eat & snack on. We went to an urgent care place to check my head & face out since I did smack it pretty hard. They take fainting pretty seriously in my case cause I'm young, healthy & have no history of this.

After 2 hours of blood work, a urine sample, an EKG, 2 chest x-rays, an IV of fluids & a cheek/eye that is swelling & turning color by the minute.....I got to head home. Basically, the doc said he felt like it was caused by a combo of me not eating breakfast that morning (low blood sugar), it being hot in the room & standing for a while, having low potassium (which they found out from my blood work) and possibly some vagal response issues. I checked out fine except for the potassium so hopefully this won't happen again. It was just such a weird experience and I really can't believe it happened to me.

I did get to see several of my nurses at Lakeside who took care of my while I was on bed rest, which was lots of fun! They couldn't believe Jay is coming up on a year old now! I really didn't think they'd be wheeling me out to the car in a wheelchair when I went there today though! Embarrassing but oh well. I'm trying to take some pictures as my cheek turns colors so we'll see how they turn out. Poor Gavan, I scared him to death during all this. Sorry babe. But after everything, I'm feeling pretty good but just like someone punched me in the face. Lots of resting for me tomorrow!

7 comments:

Vanessa said...

Oh wow that is so scary! I'm so glad Gavan was with you and that you weren't holding Jaylen! Its such a relief that you are okay. That is crazy! Take care of yourself!

suzspeaks said...

Melody!! that is so crazy...I'm so glad you are all ok! You better start eating breakfast! Love you!

Melinda said...

On a positive note...it couldn't have happened in a better place. : )

Andrea said...

OH MY!!! Eat bananas for breakfast!

Stacey Cannon said...

Wow Melody! I'm so glad you're okay! At least you know where to faint!! :)

Sharbee said...

Melody - glad you're ok. I'm sure you were scared. Glad Gavan was w/ you (& holding Jaylen.) How's your face?

Kara Scharrer said...

Melody,
I just wanted to let you know that we'll be praying for you and your upcoming cadiologist appointment. Take care of yourself!