Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Birth story/delivery day.....

Well, I thought I'd finally tell you all how Jaylen finally arrived into this world. I know several have asked me how everything happened with me being on the pump so, here goes. Stay with me as I feel it will be a long post.

I had a scheduled appointment at 36 weeks to see how I was doing, how big Jaylen was and to hopefully get the pump taken off. I hadn't had any changes to my contractions at this point. I was still having like 10+ a day (not the kind that hurt but I knew everytime I had one). I had been having contractions since 25 weeks so they were old news to me. I had been dilated to a 2 and about 70% effaced for the past month as well. I get to the doctor around 1:30 p.m. and she "checks" me and laughs as she says I'm dilated to about a 4 1/2 or 5 and pretty much completely thinned out! I had absolutely no idea. She said it would be happening soon and to take out that pump! You don't realize the feeling I got when I took the port out of my leg! I seriously felt free from any medication and it was a great feeling. Kind of weird though cause I'd been on it for so long.

We left her office knowing that it probably would be happening within the next 24 hours. Gavan went back to work to finish the day and tie up any loose ends for the next week. I knew that I needed just a couple of things before she got here so what did I do? Go home and lay back down on the couch? Heck no! After 7 weeks of laying down, I was so thrilled to be able to walk and not have people tell me to lay down. So Mom and I went to Target. I know, I are saying, "Are you crazy? You are dilated to a 5!". No, my water didn't break (not sure how cause when I got to the hospital my nurse said the bag was "bulging out") and I'm thankful of that. That was one of my fears. We get home around 3:30 p.m. and I start to pack up my things. The contractions started to come quicker and quicker. Gavan got home shortly thereafter to help get things ready (he hadn't packed a thing at this point, of course). It was quite a scene with us running around and Mom getting super excited and nervous. She was writing down the time when I would have a contraction. I would yell out, "Here's another one!" and she'd start to almost squeal!

So we get to the hospital about 5:30 p.m. and get checked in. They get me into a gown and "check" me again. Now I'm about a 6 and completely effaced. Dr. Huff came in and told me the game plan. I got my epidural, which was no problem at all. The anesthesiologist was super nice and talked me through the whole thing. It started working pretty quickly and was great. At this point, I still haven't had any pain from contractions or anything. Dr. Huff came back and broke my water, which just felt like I had peed in my pants and it was trickling down my legs. Nice. She left and came back just a little later. "Checked" me again and said I was ready to go but not to do anything! She said "Don't push, whatever you do!". She went and did a C-section on a lady who had a 11 pound boy (who Gavan said looked like a giant compared to Jaylen in the nursery). She came back and said "Let's go". The room completely changed as it turned into a delivery room. The bed broke down, the baby warmer was brought in, Dr. Huff got all her scrubs and stuff on, and this huge table was wheeled in with all sorts of instruments on it. I just didn't really look at all of them or think of what they would be used for!

I can feel nothing from my waist down so they had to tell me when I was having a contraction. I pushed for about 20-25 minutes and she was almost here. Her heartrate dropped significantly and Dr. Huff said she needed to get her out immediately. She had to use the vacuum but she came out within 1 minute, Gavan said. The cord had been around her neck and she came out super fast so she didn't breathe for while after she came out. She was born at 8:48 p.m. I could see her across the room and she was as blue as can be. Dr. Huff was very calm and kept working on me so it kept us calm. Finally after what felt like ages, she started crying and pinking up right away!

She had a little conehead for a while but did great. She didn't need oxygen or anything. She weighed 5 lbs 10 oz and was 19 inches long, in case some of you forgot. Well, that's pretty much it. So to recap.....I went to my appointment at 1:30, checked into the hospital at 5:30, and delivered at 8:48. I know some of you are cursing at me for having such a fast delivery but I say that God blessed me with a speedy delivery because: 1. that is what I prayed for! and 2. I had such a bad pregnancy.

I did have to work so hard to get Jaylen here but everything was worth it the moment she was born. I remember feeling a huge weight lifted when she came out and thinking how I would do it all over again to have the joyful feeling I was having seeing my daughter come into the world! We love her so much and continue to be amazed with her everyday. Children change you life in such a drastic way but they truly are a gift from God!


lisa said...

Such a neat story...I love to see how God has worked in your life during the last couple of gives me hope that he does have the perfect timing for our lives, and we must learn to trust him! So glad we are getting to be good have taught me so much!

Mandy said...

I'm glad to hear your story, all I knew was that someone had seen you or Gavan and said that you were there also. I was excited! I knew we would probably overlap that week, but didn't think it would be the same day. Just think if my c-section had gone as scheduled the next day, you would have had Jaylen first! I guess they wanted the same birthday. Here's a link to Viv's blog: