Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Ghetto garden........

So a couple weeks ago Gavan and I went to buy some flowers for our porch and they had some vegetables there. We get this idea to plant a small garden just for "fun". We get home and realize that the spot we had thought about putting it in has soil that seems like it is clay but it was the only spot we wanted to use so we went ahead and planted it there. I didn't have a tiller so I hand-tilled the ground (sort of) and planted our goodies. I did use some Miracle Gro soil for veggies so hopefully it will help with the poor soil. We planted 2 plants of each: snap peas, yellow squash, little tomatoes and watermelon. The watermelon looked dead when we got them so he gave them to us cheap so I'm not banking on them growing. After we got home I read that the peas need to have a trellis to grow up but I'm cheap and didn't want to go to Ace Hardware to get one so I just planted them right beside the chain-link fence. Lazy.....I know. Oh well. Here's a picture of our lovely money-saving garden..........produce is so stinkin' expensive, especially now.



The watermelon plants are in front but you can't even see them cause they are brown. Honestly I think they blew away cause I couldn't really make them out today when I watered the garden! I'll update the picture when things start to grow.........if they ever do.

Jaylen is getting better and tummy time and liking it better. She's about to get mad in this picture though. She always does good for a while and then when I decide to get the camera and put her back down, she's done with it and gets mad. Look at those chubby arms and fuzz growing on her head! I'm thinking she's going to be a blondie, maybe strawberry blonde. Gavan said that's just what he needs........a blue-eyed, blonde hair daughter. He hates even thinking of boys starting to like her!



1 comments:

Gena said...

I hope your ghetto garden starts to grow!